For the third year in a row the DS 3 won the ‘Best Used Small Car’ prize in the 2018 Diesel Car Magazine ‘Used Car Top 50’ awards. Having won the award in both 2016 and 2017 as well, such consistency shows just how popular the DS 3 remains with drivers, especially in the used car market.
When it was launched in January 2010 the DS 3 also won Top Gear’s prestigious Car of the Year award. Since then it has gone on to sell more than 400,000 models, underwent a facelift in 2016 and has become a common sight on our roads.
Why Did the DS 3 Win?
Speaking about its victory, Diesel Car Editor Ian Robertson said: “A surprise hit, the DS 3 came out of nowhere and had a big impact on supermini sales. Its chic looks and personalisation options made it a practical MINI alternative, in a package that offered more space and a far bigger boot.”
The DS 3 is one of the best used small cars around. There are a variety of reasons which have helped it remain popular both new and used:
- Distinctive style: DS has positioned itself as the more luxury brand in the PSA Groupe and the DS 3 perfectly exemplifies this with its distinctive and charismatic styling. Smooth and good attention to detail help it breathe quality.
- Technology: From the entry-level DS 3 Chic trim to top of the range Performance, plenty of modern technology features are packed in. Basic Bluetooth and steering wheel mounted controls to automatic air conditioning, built-in air freshener and an upgraded subwoofer and surround sound are some of the highlights.
- Comfort: It’s not just looks, the smooth handling and engines along with a luxurious interior ensure a comfortable ride for driver and passengers.
- Performance: Good body control, steering weight and plenty of bite deliver a strong driving performance for the DS 3. A range of petrol and diesel engines plus manual and automatics provide plenty of choice.
- Size: Smart and compact, the DS 3 is one of the best used small cars for getting around and parking in city centres.
Choosing a Used DS 3
There’s plenty of variation, whether you fancy a new DS 3 with the facelift or an older used model. Starting with the entry-level DS 3 Chic trim, this is the most affordable option but it still comes with the car’s unique style, 16-inch black ‘Ashera’ alloy wheels, cruise control and more.
The Performance Line trim includes a rear spoiler, leather sports steering wheel and 17-inch ‘Aphrodite’ black alloy wheels. Or for those after a premium option then the DS 3 Performance Black with its large-bore sports exhaust, 18-inch Nemesis black alloy wheels and a gold roof is probably the best choice. Whichever model suits you, get the best price with a used DS 3 car and experience the award-winner yourself.
The Future of the DS 3
The next step for the DS 3 appears to be with another crossover SUV model, the DS 3 Crossback. Following the DS 4 and 7 Crossbacks, this will be a larger version of the hatchback and possibly replace it in the future. At the moment it is currently undergoing testing and not expected to go on sale until 2019.
Even if production of the DS 3 does stop in the future, it could still remain one of the best used small cars on sale for a long time to come.